Sunday, July 25, 2010

24th of July 5K



It was a perfect day to start racing again. Now when I say 'racing' I'm actually not trying to beat anyone or break any Charleston Town 5k records. But I won't deny that you run a titch faster when you come up behind someone who seems to be going your pace. Just enough to pass them and make sure they don't catch you again. I guess in that sense I was racing. Kind of. It does kind of hurt when the guy pushing the double stroller with toddlers in it passes you.

The best part was racing with my super fast sister! I think I probably would have averaged a 20 minute mile if she didn't run with me. 60 minutes to run 3.1 miles? The free pancake breakfast would have been all gone if I actually did that! So I'm glad she ran with me. Not only to make sure I got pancakes, but she is, well, amazing. For a lot of reasons. We averaged about 9 minute miles and finished just over 27 minutes.

The other best parts are the people who show up to these events. The guy in the hot pink tank top who decided to full out sprint at the starting line. Then later took a couple of minutes to sit on the side of the road and rest. Then sprinted again. Then stood under the spray of an irrigation sprinkler and tried to catch water in his mouth. Then coming in the finish line like he was going to die if he ran another yard. I'm glad he wore the hot pink tank top. Otherwise I might have missed ALL of his shenanigans.

So yippee for holiday races. Yippee for getting this part of my life back. Yippee for my husband holding the fort down all by his handsome self for two hours. Yipppee!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you two! I'd be lying if I said I wish I'd done it with you. Still have no motivation. I'm glad someone in this family does!

    ReplyDelete